14 November 2013
BBRT meeting in London in October a great success
The high participation numbers and the level of debate, discussion and networking again showed the value of these meetings.
- Rob Wilson’s presentation on Aviva’s approach to systems thinking gave everyone some very valuable insights on how to empower the front line teams to better serve their customers. Less of the traditional tools and targets and more focus on values and purpose dramatically increased both customer and employee satisfaction and drove down costs.
- The time line used by Manuel Ferreira in his presentation of NORS’ Darwin project gave a great insight into how a company has introduced the Beyond Budgeting principles in a short time.
- Pontus Wadström’s presentation gave us a good insight into how Skanska has approached changing its KPI reporting
- Finally, Bjarte Bogsnes gave an excellent update on Statoil’s Beyond Budgeting implementation. This showed how implementations evolve over time and the great strides that Statoil is making.
BBRT members can access the presentations from the BBRT Members’ Community.
7 November 2013
Resulting from a major research study, BBRT Member NHH (the Norwegian School of Economics) has published a major new book “Managing in Dynamic Business Environments”. This book focuses on budgeting control and on-going Beyond Budgeting trends and its consequences for the organization.
Ensuring an optimal balance between individual autonomy and management control is a critical challenge for organizations operating in dynamic business environments. Too much of the former leads to chaos and too much of the latter guarantees rigidity. This book explores the tensions that arise in seeking the best possible balance between these two dimensions. Resolving these tensions is a critical challenge for achieving competitiveness.
In order to examine budgeting control and on-going ‘beyond budgeting’ the book’s starting point is the Beyond Budgeting movement and what it implies for a new approach to autonomy and management control. This discussion is further supplemented with a broader approach to the issues of control that spans issues such as self-control, time control, transparency as control, ethical control and cultural control.
For more information click HERE.
A recent post on the Drucker Society Europe blog by Alan Brown, Julian Birkinshaw, Steve Denning, Tom Roy, Vlatka Hlupic and Franz Röösli (BBRT Core Team member) explores this basic question. The blog starts with the question: "Why do decentralized, seemingly disorganized market economies routinely outperform centrally planned, tightly controlled economies?"
In this blog the authors examine the role of business and why short-term shareholder value thinking is still embedded in the core curricula of MBA courses. They go on to look at the constraints to change in business schools and make recommendations as to how business schools can adapt to be fully supportive business leaders in transforming organizations from linear, efficiency-driven, shareholder-value-maximizing machines into complex organs of society.
Click HERE To read the blog.
- Dag Larsson, Ekan has joined the Beyond Budgeting Institute’s Core Team
- New Beyond Budgeting Partner: Ekan has become our Beyond Budgeting Partner in Sweden
- Want to receive our newsletter? Please send a mail to email@example.com
- New case story: In cooperation with Dr. Winnie O'Grady from the University of Auckland, New Zealand, we recently completed a fantastic Beyond Budgeting story featuring Mainfreight. This has been sent directly to all BBRT members. We are currently working on a follow-up story about Mainfreight….
- New member: We are delighted to announce that Kingfisher plc has joined the BBRT. Kingfisher is Europe’s largest home improvement retailer with over 1,030 stores in eight countries.
Beyond Budgeting Events
- 20 November 2013: Verksamhetsstyrning 2.0 (Performance Management 2.0) Deputy CFO Joakim Hugosson, with BBRT-member Akademiska Hus, is one of the key-note speakers
- 21-22 November 2013: Controller Summit Rikard Olsson, Ekan Management will speak on the topic Beyond Budgeting
- 1-4 December 2013, LESS 2013, Galway, Ireland
- 18-19 November 2013, BBRT North America meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- 18 March 2014, Beyond Budgeting Conference, Brussels, Belgium
- 19-20 March 2014, BBRT European Region Members' Meeting, Brussels, Belgium
A range of BBRT briefing papers and White Papers are now publicly available from BBRT Online Knowledge. The White Papers and some of the Briefing Papers are free downloads and the remainder can be downloaded on payment of a small fee.