BBRT Meeting Testimonials - Videos
For video clips about Beyond Budgeting, please visit our YouTube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/user/beyondbudgetingorg
11 August 2014
Bjarte Bogsnes speaks at MIX Mashup 2014 in New York
The Management Innovation eXchange (MIX) is an open innovation project aimed at reinventing management for the 21st century. The MIX Mashup 2014, which takes place in New York on 18-20 November, is a gathering of the vanguard of management innovators with a dream: ORGANIZATIONS THAT ARE FIT FOR THE FUTURE—AND FIT FOR HUMAN BEINGS. If you think that this sounds very familiar, then it’s because we work closely together with this network – and we are fighting the exact same battle. Again this year, our chairman Bjarte Bogsnes is among the speakers. The other speakers represent the following inventive and successful organizations : TaylorMade-adidas Golf, the English National Health Service, Cemex, Vagas.com, Loomio and Atlassian. For more information, see here: http://www.mixmashup.org/blog/mix-mashup-2014-speakers-program-themes?utm_source=MIX+Fix&utm_campaign=5c25093c6f-The_MIX_Fix_Aug_6_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f438b7f975-5c25093c6f-16656654
8 August 2014
Academic cooperation and recognition
As part of our research efforts, and in order to increase the
awareness about Beyond Budgeting, we reach out to and cooperate with
universities, business schools, academics and other thought leaders.
A great example of such cooperation is with NHH Norwegian School of Economics, which has been an active member of BBRT for many years. We are extremely happy with this cooperation and the strong ties we have with many people at NHH. Most recently, Katarina Kaarb°e from NHH was awarded the David Solomons Prize by Management Accounting Research in recognition of the article: “From comfort to stretch zones: A field study of two multinational companies applying beyond budgeting ideas”; a paper she co-authored with Professor Anatoli Bourmistrov from University of Nordland.
NHH has conducted a very interesting study from the Norwegian banking sector which demonstrates a strong negative correlation between long-term financial results and the use of traditional budgets.
Another example of such cooperation is with Catˇlica Porto Business School in Portugal that is now introducing Beyond Budgeting in their executive education.
31 July 2014
Beyond Budgeting Conferences
In October, two very interesting Beyond Budgeting conferences
co-organized by the Beyond Budgeting Institute are held in
Kuala Lumpur (9 October) and London (22 October),
Both conferences are designed to give participants a great introduction to what Beyond Budgeting is all about.
In just one day, you will learn everything you need to sweep away outdated command and control methods and begin your journey towards a leaner, more adaptive, more resilient organisation. Both conferences are packed with real world case studies and thought-provoking, interactive sessions led by CEOs, business thinkers and pioneering practitioners of Beyond Budgeting.
For more information and to sign up please follow these links:
Kuala Lumpur: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/33069b15098259cee2f42cf2b/files/cdf40a43-2378-4f8a-9cf4-8ec3811f41cd.pdf
3 July 2014
New Case Report
We have just finalized a case report about BBRT member Uno-X Automat which is part of the Reitan Group, the fifth largest company in Norway. The vision of the Reitan Group is to become Scandinavia┤s most value driven company. This is achieved by amplifying a culture that has the customer as the ultimate boss and a working environment where authority is delegated to employees who are their own decision makers. The case report is a great example of the unleashing of performance potential that can follow when an organization is given autonomy. The case story is available to BBRT Members on the BBRT Members’ Community web site.
New research paper on Lean and Agile Financial Planning
BBRT-member Maarit Laanti and Rami Sirkiń have recently prepared an interesting paper on Lean and Agile Financial Planning. This is based on their mutual experiences with financial controlling in software development projects at Nokia. We are grateful to Maarit and Rami for sharing their experiences and knowledge, and for making this research paper available to the Beyond Budgeting Institute and the members of BBRT. The paper is now available to BBRT members on the BBRT Members' Community website.
30 June 2014
Beyond budgeting – integrated planning and performance management
Independent consultant Adrian Ryan, with input from Bjarte Bogsnes, explains how businesses can use planning and process management to drive integrated reporting. To read the full article click HERE
10 June 2014
Dynamic Forecasting: A Planning Innovation for Fast-Changing Times - Bjarte Bogsnes, Statoil
Bjarte Bogsnes holds the unique distinction of being the onle person to have "blown up the budget" at more than one company: at his previous employer, Borealis and at his current on, Statoil, the Norwegian oil giant. Now he want to blow up the calendar too - calling it an arbitrary (and anachonistic) basis for forecasting. A dedicated champion of the Beyond Budgeting movement, Bjarte takes the concept of rolling forecasts one big step further, with dynamic forecasting.
The full article was published in the Balanced Scorecard report and canbe read by clicking HERE
Getting Performance Without Performance Management
A few months ago, past MIX M-Prize winner, Bjarte Bogsnes of Statoil and Chairman of the BBRT developed a hack for the MIX entitles "The End of Performance Management (As We Know It)". In this hack Bjarte suggested that the idea of managing performance was itself incompatible with the the 21st Century notion of reinventing management. His conclusion was that performance management itself need to be reinvented and renamed for a new age. During October 2012 almost 70 people took part in a discussiob about the future of performance management. The resulting report captures the results of their experience. The report can be read by clicking HERE
30 May 2014
Beyond Budgeting made it to the cover of the May edition of CFO Magazine (again):
This is very much thanks to a great effort by Steve Player, our partner in North America. To read the full article click HERE
Lean Kanban Conference in Bologna
On 30 May, Beyond Budgeting was represented at the Lean Kanban-conference in Bologna
- Rikard Olsson, from BBI's Swedish partner Ekan Management, held a very much appreciated introduction to the Beyond Budgeting ideas and why management innovation is crucial for companies that want to achieve sustained competitive advantage.
Lean Kanban Conference in San Francisco
Early in May, Beyond Budgeting was well represented at the Lean Kanban North America conference in San Francisco. This event featured a full Beyond Budgeting track of speakers:
- Bjarte Bogsnes (our chairman) served as one of the keynote speaker for the entire conference.
- Steve Player served as the Beyond Budgeting track chairman
- Gretchen Stepke of HOLT CAT (BBRT Member) shared how they had eliminated budgets as part of their 2009 improvement efforts.
- Doug Kirkpatrick of Morningstar explained how they created a company that operates without any bosses. The Morningstar case has previously been featured at BBRT events both in the US and in Europe.
- Kevin Meyer cofounder of the Gemba Academy described how his team eliminated budgets as part of their lean management approach.
- Steve Adams of Kaiser Permanente (BBRT Member) described their improvements in cost transparency and measurement. These are helping streamline operations while enabling continued decentralized management.
25 April 2014
Beyond Budgeting: a Proven Governance System Compatible with the Agile Culture
Many large and mid-sized organisations struggle with taking Agile beyond IT largely because Agile doesn't provide any guidance on governance structures. In a new article Michael Sahota, Bjarte Bogsnes, Jaana Nyfjord, Jorgen Hesselnerg and Almire Drugovic argue that the leadership and governance principles of Beyond Budgeting are an excellent complement to Agile's team orientation because they are aligned around values and mindset (culture). Beyond Budgeting provides the organisational guidance needed to create an environment where Agile can thrive.
To read the full article click HERE
21 March 2014
European BBRT-Members’ Meeting
During the two last days, BBRT Members gathered in Brussels for the bi-annual European BBRT Meetings. On Wednesday, we held the Implementers’ Meeting which this time focused on Business Forecasting. Yesterday’s BBRT Meeting featured very interesting presentations from New Zealand-based Mainfreight and the north European diary giant Arla. Bjarte Bogsnes presented his views on individual bonuses and last but not least: the members’ meeting included a review of a very interesting research from the Norwegian bank sector. The study shows a strong negative correlation between long-term financial results and the use of traditional budgets. Meeting presentations and the research study are available for download by BBRT Members from the private BBRT Members' Community website.
19 March 2014
Beyond Budgeting Conference in Brussels
On 19 March we held an open Beyond Budgeting conference in Brussels
together with CFO Magazine. Anders Olesen from Beyond Budgeting
Institute introduced the audience to Beyond Budgeting, our network and
ideas. Hereafter, two longstanding BBRT-Members Statoil and A.P.
Moller – Maersk presented how they have benefited from adopting the
Beyond Budgeting principles in their management models. In connection
with this conference, the February version of CFO Magazine featured an
interview with Beyond Budgeting Institute which can be read
- New BBRT Members:
- MT H°jgaard
- UNO-X Automat
- Dag Larsson, Ekan has joined the Beyond Budgeting Institute’s Core Team
- New Beyond Budgeting Partners:
- Ekan has become our Beyond Budgeting Partner in Sweden
- Bjarte Bogsnes, BBRT Chairman, has become our Beyond Budgeting Partner in Norway
- Want to receive our newsletter? Please send a mail to email@example.com
Beyond Budgeting Related Events
- 3 September 2014: Workshop for Corporate BBRT Members, Copenhagen, Denmark. For more information contact Anders Olesen
- 4-5 September 2014: Agile on the Beach, Penryn, Falmouth, Cornwall, UK,
- 18 September 2014: Workshop for BBRT Corporate Members, Olso, Norway. For more information contacty Bjarte Bogsnes
9 October 2014: Open Beyond Budgeting Conference, Kuala
- This full-day event is aimed at providing delegates with a broad introduction to Beyond Budgeting
- It will be a truly international event featuring in-depth cases from Telekom Malaysia and Statoil as well as examples of how beyond budgeting is developing in Japan and in Australia/New Zealand
- The event is organized together with Neoedge and is held at The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur
- 22 October 2014: Open Beyond Budgeting Conference. London,
- In just one day, you will learn everything you need to sweep away outdated "command and control" methods and begin your journey towards a leaner, more adaptive, more resilient organisation.
- The day is packed with real world case studies and thought-provoking, interactive sessions led by CEOs, business thinkers and pioneering practitioners of Beyond Budgeting. Speakers from London Business School, Handelsbanken UK, Happy Ltd., Statoil and from our network are getting ready for a great day!
- This event is organized together with Happy People and is held in central London.
- Click HERE for the full programme
- 22-23 October 2014: BBRT Members' Meetings,
- Implementers' meeting and BBRT dinner are on 22 October
- Main BBRT Meeting on 23 October
- 27-30 October 2014: Russian CFO Summit, Moscow
- 2-5 November 2014: AFP Annual Conference, Washington, DC, USA
- 6 November 2014: Swiss Ladership Forum, Zurich. See programme HERE
- 18-20 November 2014: MIX Mashup, New York, USA
Bjarte Bogsnes, Statoil and BBRT Chairman is speaking about Beyond Budgeting at several conference over the coming months. For details see the calendar on our Events page
A range of BBRT briefing papers and White Papers are now publicly available from BBRT Online Knowledge. The White Papers and some of the Briefing Papers are free downloads and the remainder can be downloaded on payment of a small fee.